Philosophical commentary on contemporary political issues in the tradition of Charles Taylor, Alasdair MacIntyre, and Michael Sandel.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

With a bachelor's degree, $10,000 of student loans, and hopefully some marketable skills, I am leaving college to go out into the real world. In the past couple of years, I have become very interested in philosophy, an area of study I was hardly acquainted with before college. But after putting in hours of time reading, discussing, and writing, I did not want to disengage with the practice upon graduation.

While I have been intrigued at the idea of blogging in the past, I was repelled by its tendency to encourage notions of self-importance and have been hesitant to enter into such a world. But with the ideas I have been grappling with in my studies, I have found an interest in taking my philosophical views and giving them more of a practical spin.

The purpose of this blog is to record thoughts and feelings about contemporary politics through a philosophical lens inspired by the works of Alasdair MacIntyre, Charles Taylor, and Michael Sandel. While this tradition is often termed the "communitarian tradition," I will refrain from referring to it as such for reasons I will no doubt elaborate on in future posts. For now, I look forward to beginning and hope that this page will be an outlet for ideas of worth for discourse and more practical progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment